Butternut Squash Soup with Hot Italian Sausage
- 2 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2"x2" chunks
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage (or Chorizo)
- 3 cups (64oz.) chicken stock
- 2 cups (16oz.) heavy cream
Toss squash, onion and garlic in olive oil and roast in the oven at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours on a large cookie sheet. In the meantime, remove sausage from its casing and sauté until cooked through breaking it up as you go. Drain well — really well.
In a food processor, blend together all of the ingredients in batches until as smooth as possible. Place in 6-quart pot and reheat for 20-30 minutes.
This soup is best served the day after. If the sausage doesn't provide the heat you're looking for, you can add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Soup prepared / recipe provided by:
Dave Imbarrato, Creative Director